-->

Focusrite Control 2 _ First Report

Post n° 2



I am in my fifth year of agony with these audio interfaces... I've been testing the "new" Focusrite Control 2 for about two weeks now, and I will list what I noticed in Focusrite Control 2 for the 3rd Generation 18i8:
  1. Despite having a Philips 2560x1440 monitor powered by a GeForce RTX 3035, I notice that Focusrite Control 2 lacks fluidity in its scrolling, featuring V-meters that tend to glitch and distort graphically.

  2. There is no scalable interface (.SVG) available to enlarge (or resize) the text.

  3. The redistribution of features and controls has been approximate and/or rushed. Some functions are listed on the left (with their relative icons), while others have been placed under the three horizontal dots. It would have been better to have all functions listed on the left with their icons.

  4. The Preferences menu shows a clumsy arrangement of features, even duplicating the option to change the sample rate (a function also available in the top left).

  5. Also in the Preferences menu, there are parts that are not translated into Italian.

  6. There is an excessive visual contrast between the totally black background and the white text—a contrast I would soften by using a grey background and a lighter grey text compared to the background.

  7. In the Routing section, Main Output 1-2 has not been made splittable.

  8. The master output lacks a fader that can be linked to the hardware volume knob of the audio interface, so that moving the knob also moves the cursor (though this is more of an aesthetic than functional detail). There is a level indicator (linked to the knob), but it is written in a small, poorly visible grey color.

  9. Sporadically, I still experience crackling and various audio distortions (using Windows audio drivers...). To resolve this issue, I am forced to physically turn the interface off and back on. I have a feeling that, even though I have disabled USB selective suspension, occasional voltage drops might occur on the USB ports, making the data connection between the interface and the Operating System unstable. As an idea, I propose (for desktop PCs) a return to the old PCIe card/bus, or adopting alternative solutions starting from USB 3.0 connections onwards.

  10. The full screen of Focusrite Control 2 tends to overlap with the taskbar, cutting it off by a certain amount.

  11. The drop-down menu (the one in the taskbar) tends to get cut off, showing only two items; furthermore, there is no recognition nor opening of Focusrite Control 2 when I click on that item. This is a sign that part of the driver programming code has remained the previous one, and proper update modifications to the new panel have not been made.

__________________________________________________

Regarding the 8i6 (also 3rd Generation):

  1. The same graphics issues mentioned above (for the 18i8).

  2. Presence of the +48V button on channels that do not have this type of function.

  3. Lack of Mute and Dim functions on the master output.

  4. In the Routing section, a headphone output is missing. It seems that both outputs share a forced common path.

  5. In the Metering section, V-meters are missing for monitoring the headphone outputs, which, I repeat, should be made separate and independent (since I have two headphone outputs available, not just one...).

  6. The full screen of Focusrite Control 2 tends to overlap with the taskbar, cutting it off by a certain amount.

  7. The drop-down menu (the one in the taskbar) tends to get cut off, showing only two items; furthermore, there is no recognition nor opening of Focusrite Control 2 when I click on that item. This is a sign that part of the driver programming code has remained the previous one, and proper update modifications to the new panel have not been made.

Test performed with Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC (which is one of the very few currently decent operating systems from Microsoft...)




Pubblicazione: Lunedì, 10 Agosto 2026