Post n° 12
My experience with KRK audio monitors started in 2008 when I decided to try the KRK RP5 Rokit G2. It was something bittersweet because, despite the very neat and accurate design, their sound was definitely emphasized on the low frequencies and the adjustments on the back were of little use... Then, after about two years of use, I decided to resell them and from there began an ordeal more full of bitterness than satisfaction... It was in 2023 that I returned to the court of KRK with the Rokit RP5 G4. In this pair of monitors I was able to appreciate a more balanced sound. As for the construction, I noticed that the central dust covers to the woofer were not made with well symmetrical (or concentric) edges and looking at the outer ring you can see small differences in size and gluing... I measured the size of the woofer and, compared to the G2 series, there is about 1 cm less; therefore, they are not really 5" but 4" and something... There is also a certain presence of an audible amplification rustle. A note of merit instead goes to the decidedly silent and effective standby. However, I was able to try it only very little because, with a combined Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 (third generation), the monitors are unable to enter Stand-by and this is because the sound card - even in the absence of an audio signal - emits a "signal" that exceeds the threshold of activation of the standby itself; therefore, monitors never go into stand-by.
Moreover, a few months ago a speaker stopped working and I was about to return it (since it was still under warranty) when, watching a video on the Internet about KRK failures, I managed to repair the damage by replacing a malfunctioning capacitor. Then looking a bit on the net I realized that the quality of the components is not really 100% reliable...
The other day I saw that the new V series came out and, from the characteristics, they seem to be very beautiful, very comfortable and very performing, I hope that the quality of the components will live up to the price they have, because they have a decidedly challenging price and totally out of my reach...
Summing up, what can I say about KRK? Having always tried the medium series I can't give an opinion (as I would like to try the V series...) but, between emphasized frequencies and collapsing capacitors, I would say that I can't have really positive opinions... What I would like to know though (and that perhaps I will never know) is to understand why KRK released the G5 series shortly after making the G4 series... In all honesty I think that in the G5 series those defects that were present in the G4 series have been corrected and I hope that the internal components have also been improved... I don't even know why they abandoned the yellow tweeter so suddenly... Someone asserts that this is the cause of the excessive amplification rustle... I don't know... Obviously I'm left with a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth... I'm consoled by their sound that now reassures me and that's what matters most... maybe...
